Walking outdoors when there is snow and ice on the ground can be treacherous. If you have to go out, remember these safety tips to help avoid a fall and possible injury:
- Wear flat rubber or non-skid sole shoes or boots for better traction.
- Don’t rush! Plan ahead and allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Focus on the walk. Avoid texting and wearing headphones while walking.
- For better balance, avoid putting your hands in your pockets. Wear a back pack if you have to carry things.
- Don’t take short cuts over snow banks or piles of snow.
On snow and ice extend your arms out to your sides, relax your knees, point your feet out, shorten and widen your steps, shuffle with flat feet- Walk like a penguin!