My Life My Health
My Life My Health workshop is an evidence based program developed by Stanford University for people with a variety of chronic conditions such as, but not limited to, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s and arthritis. The workshop is 2.5 hours, once a week for six weeks. My Life My Health is facilitated from a detailed manual by two trained leaders. Classes are highly participative, where mutual support and success build the participant’s confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives. The workshop covers subjects such as:
- Techniques to deal with concerns such as pain, stress, frustration, fatigue and isolation.
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance.
- Healthy eating.
- Appropriate use of medication.
- Communication effectively with family, friends, and health professionals.
- How to evaluate new treatments.
- Participants will make weekly action plans, share experiences and help each other solve problems they encounter in creating and carrying out their self-management program.
- Each participant receives a copy of the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions and an audio relaxation CD.
My Life My Health does not conflict with existing treatment or programs. For medical questions, participants are referred to their physicians. If the content of the course conflicts with instructions they receive elsewhere, they are advised to follow their physician’s orders.
For more information, please contact:
Kelsey Magnuson, Wellness Program Coordinator
Would you like a workshop somewhere else on the North Shore?
Or click for the latest information.